Monday, April 30, 2018

Wrap A Python Around My Neck

2018. The Snake Temple in Penang is the only one of its kind in the world. The temple is filled with sacred smoke from burning incense, which is said to lull the snakes to sleep. As a safety precaution, there are warnings not to touch the sleeping snakes. But don't worry, although they still have their fangs intact, they have all been de-venomed. You may try your luck.

Just off to one side, there was a small room where you could take pictures with pythons. There were two of them, kept in a glass box but the owner kept having to take them out because they were very popular with the visitors. I saw even small children taking photos with the pythons.

I can't remember how much it cost to get your photos taken. I think it was RM40 for two photos, and RM30 for 1. I haggled and managed to get 1 printed photo for RM20. They had their own photographer but they would also help you take pictures using your phone, so you would have digital copies.

You could take pictures with a python around your neck and a viper on your head. But the viper seemed to be very active, so I opted to have only the python on me.

I don't like reptiles, but it wasn't that bad. At least the skin was dry, and not slimy. I felt its weight on my shoulders. Not too heavy, maybe two to three kilos. It was like having a shorter friend wrap his/her arm around your neck.

I could feel its pulse, or maybe it was its heartbeat--I don't know where a snake's heart is. But apart from that, it didn't move at all. It was meek, obedient and accommodating, just the way a woman should be (according to Muslim men).