Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Make a Handmade Greeting Card

2018: I wanted to do something different for Valentine's Day, so instead of buying a card like I always did, I decided to make one.

It wasn't my first time designing and making a greeting card. I used to do that every year for my mom's birthday, and she always did the same for me too, back when we both appreciated the little things. And then I grew up and grew out of the habit.

I no longer had the craft papers and materials that I used to keep in a special folder at home, so I had to go out and buy some. I bought two pieces of manila cards (they came in twos) and 50 pieces of origami paper of 50 different colors (which I'll keep for future projects). I had a ribbon lying around from a wedding favor gift box, and some old newspaper I kept for emergencies.

I faced a few problems. My scissors were too blunt to make a clean cut. Parts of the ribbon were crumpled. I had no glue so I had to use cellophane tape. And also, my partner was coming to fetch me for dinner in another 25 minutes. I had to hurry.

But everything was done in less than half an hour, although it wasn't as pretty as I had wanted. If I had more time, I would have cut the card into a smaller size so that there's not so much empty space. I would have ironed the ribbon and made it tidier. Anyway, here's how the finished product looked like:

YouTube guided me through a step-by-step tutorial on how to
fold the paper hearts.