Saturday, October 17, 2015

Ride "the Tube" in London

The Tube is also known as London Underground, or simply Underground. But don't be fooled; despite its name, only 45% of the system is actually 'underground' in tunnels. It is considered the oldest rapid transit system, and is the world's first underground railway.

On my first time boarding the Tube, I was lucky because I was accompanied by my host, who also helped me buy the Oyster travel card. With him as my guide, I didn't have to worry about finding my way in the labyrinth that was the underground railway system.


What I found hard to get used to was the temperature. It was early autumn, but already freezing at night, especially with the ferocious wind. Then as I stepped into the subway, suddenly it was warm--much too warm, and stuffy. I had to take off my jacket and scarf. If it was only a short ride, soon I'd have to step out and endure the cold air again. The sudden temperature change made me feel faint, which I think is not very uncommon, as I saw a signage on the train advising passengers to disembark at the next station if they felt unwell, and contact the staff for assistance.