Thursday, October 15, 2015

Ride the Double-Decker Bus in London

They say the best way to see London is from the top of the bus. And of course, they're referring to the red double-decker bus that has become one of the iconic symbols of London. Before boarding the bus, I had to get an Oyster travel card, which could also be used for the tram, the Tube and London Overground. Apparently they didn't sell the cards on the bus, and you can't pay the fare by cash, so I had my host to help me buy one from the subway station. I had to pay 10 pounds, but the card could be returned to the station for a 5-pound refund.

There are many cities throughout the world that use double-decker buses, even in Asia, Africa and South America. If you have boarded any of these buses, I don't think it is that much different from the London ones.

The double-decker bus is more favorable than the articulated bus, because it is shorter in length, therefore safer and easier to maneuver on London's narrow streets. It also has a bigger seating capacity.

To get the best view, choose the front seat on the top deck. But in the event of collisions with a bridge, you'll also be the first one to go.