Monday, October 5, 2015

Blow a Dandelion and Make a Wish

Some people say that the number of breaths you take to blow off all the seeds represents the number of years it will take you to find true love. Another variation is that if you want to know whether you are truly loved by someone, blow a dandelion and see how many seeds remain--the fewer, the stronger the love. Some people use dandelions as a barometer, a clock and even a compass. If the remaining seed points to the north, then that is where you should go to find your destiny. It is all very romantic, but my favorite is to blow a dandelion and make a wish, because each of the seeds will carry your dreams with them as they fly to faraway places, and keep your dreams alive, for as long as they continue to pollinate and reproduce.

I'm pretty sure I could find dandelions in Malaysia if I tried, but I never seemed to notice any. According to my local friends, there should be a lot. But it was only in Italy that I managed to find one bush full of dandelions. It was beautiful. Perhaps when I'm not traveling, I rush through my days without stopping to look at what's around me. Maybe I take things for granted because I'm too busy to care.  I live in constant anticipation of my next holiday abroad without realizing the beauty that's been surrounding me all along. There's a lesson to be learnt right there.


So as I was walking along the highway near Piazzale Roma, I took a few moments to pick a dandelion, made a wish and blew it, hoping it will carry my dreams, and show me to my destiny.