Monday, October 5, 2015

Eat Fish n Chips in a Pub in London

Fish and chips is a typical English food of battered fish (usually cod), served with tartar sauce and fries. It is a common pub food I'm not too keen on, because it's deep-fried (I prefer grills), and admit it, even though it may be a great comfort food, it's boring, and not something you would want to splurge on in a nice restaurant. Anyhow, I just had to try it in London, where it originated, and see if it's any different from the one I'm used to back home.

So I went to a pub close to Trafalgar Square in Central London with somebody I just met the day before. He was also new to the city and was eager to try it with me. We were not very hungry so we ordered one to share.

The portion was substantial, and the texture great--crunchy on the outside soft inside, for both the fish and the chips. But it was rather lacking in taste. I suppose my Asian tongue is used to having more flavor in my food. Some chili sauce would have helped but there was none. So I had to be happy with the ketchup and tartar sauce. The mashed peas was also something new; I never had that before.